Sunday, February 8, 2015

Swedish-ish meatballs


I say "Swedish-ish" meatballs because I don't know how truly Swedish they are. I just know they taste good and beat the shit out of anything you find at Ikea.

One thing you have to be careful about using this recipe is the sodium content. I strongly recommend you do NOT add salt to this recipe. I also suggest not skimping on the brand of soups you buy - again, it's a sodium issue. Buy the cheap stuff and you won't be able to control the salt content and it will be way too bitter to eat. This is a Crockpot recipe, but you can also bake them in a deep baking dish at a low heat until everything is hot.

2 bags frozen original style meatballs (as opposed to "Italian-style")
2 cans LOW SODIUM - Cream of Mushroom soup
1 envelope Beefy Mushroom (or Onion) soup mix
2 cups milk
1 cup LOW SODIUM beef broth
½ tsp ground allspice
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
1- 24oz pkg wide egg noodles, cooked per pkg directions

When I made these, I decided since I was putting them in the crockpot that I would fry them in oil first. I could have pan fried them or baked them, too. I just chose the deep fry option to get a good crusty shell on the meatball so they wouldn't fall apart in the slow cooker. It's like getting a sear on a steak or roast to keep the flavor in and keep it from falling apart during the cooking process.

While the meatballs cooked in the skillet, I mixed together all the liquid ingredients along with the spices in the crock. When the meatballs were done, I added them and set it to low (10 hours). You may need to add milk later on as it concentrates to thin out the gravy.

Serve over cooked egg noodles (rice works, too).

No comments:

Post a Comment