Saturday, August 24, 2013

Bavarian Pot Roast

For my first bridal shower almost twenty years ago, the theme was a recipe share. Guests brought index cards with their favorite recipes on them and gave them to me as I began my life as a new bride. One of the recipes I tried was my former MIL's recipe for Bavarian pot roast. Having been a fairly traditional person, I only made it once, but it did go over well, if I remember correctly. I have been in a serious tomato mood lately, so I thought I'd revisit my recipe box and try it again.



1 three to four pound pot roast (I used an arm roast)
4 T flour
2 T oil
1 c tomato juice (or 8 oz can tomato sauce)
1 c beef broth
1¼ c Coca Cola (or 1¼ c water and 2 T sugar)
1 T vinegar
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 bay leaf
1 chopped onion

Preheat your oven to 325°.

Cover the roast with flour and brown on all sides in the oil. While it's browning, mix the juice, broth, Coke, vinegar and spices together. Chop the onion and put it on the bottom of a large baking dish with the bay leaf. When the roast is browned, add it to the dish and pour the broth mixture over the top. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 3 hours. Let set for 15 mins and discard bay leaf before serving.

Serve with potatoes or over noodles or spaetzle.

No comments:

Post a Comment