Saturday, December 29, 2012

Creamy Chicken and Vegetables


I stumbled upon this recipe on Pinterest and made it tonight. I did change a few measurements and enhanced some flavors. This was what I ended up with:

3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 lbs red potatoes, cleaned and cubed
1 lb bag baby carrots
3 stalks celery, washed and cut into chunks
1 onion, chopped
3 pkgs Chicken Gravy mix
2 T chicken soup base (or 3 tsp chicken bouillon)
1 c chicken broth
3 T butter or margarine
½ c white wine (optional)
1 tsp Lawry's seasoned salt
1 tsp leaf thyme
½ tsp sage
½ tsp poultry seasoning
2 T brown sugar
salt and pepper to taste
1 c heavy cream

In my crockpot, I layered the vegetables on the bottom then covered them with the chicken pieces. I mixed the gravy mix, chicken soup base, broth, wine, spices and seasonings in a bowl and then poured it over the chicken and vegetables. I added the butter on the top. I set my crockpot on high for 6 hours and let it do its magic.

When the potatoes were tender, I scooped out the chicken and veggies, and poured the broth into a skillet, adding the heavy cream and heating it thoroughly. The broth will be thin, but it's excellent!

You can also thicken up the broth with a little cornstarch and put everything into a pie crust and make a chicken pot pie with it.

DELISH!

No comments:

Post a Comment