Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Homemade Taco Seasoning



In helping my mother-in-law clean out her pantry to prepare for a healthier lifestyle, we researched recipes for homemade seasonings for things like tacos, ranch dressing and spaghetti sauce. In doing so, I decided that I probably should start practicing what I preach, so I, too, bypassed the taco packets today at the store and decided to make it homemade instead. 

I combined several recipes I saw online and created my own.

½ c chili powder
¼ c onion powder
2T ground cumin
2T garlic powder
1T paprika (Spanish or smoked is fine)
1T dried oregano leaves
½ tsp cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
1T seasoned salt (you can omit this if you're on a low-sodium diet, just add more garlic powder)
1T corn starch
1T brown sugar

Combine everything in a lidded container such as a jar or Tupperware and shake well.

Use 3T seasoning with ¼-½ cup of water per ONE pound of ground meat (beef, turkey, chicken, etc.). Simmer over medium heat until desired consistency.

No comments:

Post a Comment