Monday, September 17, 2012

Monkey Bread

When I talked about making monkey bread this morning, I got a lot of blank stares and "Do I wanna know?"s in my timeline. There are still people on this earth who don't know what monkey bread is?

Seriously?!

That must be fixed this instant.

Meet monkey bread:

Please forgive the atypical crappyness of the picture.
I was busy trying not to breathe and/or set off my smoke alarms.
(See warning below.)

This sinful piece of deliciousness has been a staple in my family since I was a teenager. I usually make it once a year - on Christmas morning but have slacked off these last few years. Since I had the ingredients and it sounded good, I made some this morning.

It's truly the simplest breakfast dish on the planet.

4 tubes refrigerator biscuits, separated & quartered
2/3 c sugar
1 T cinnamon
1½ sticks butter/margarine
1 c sugar
1 T cinnamon

Mix the first sugar and cinnamon together and toss with the biscuit pieces.

Melt butter and combine with the second sugar/cinnamon mixture. Bring to a low boil.

In a greased 9x13 pan or Bundt pan, loosely and evenly layer sugared biscuit pieces. Pour the melted butter/sugar mix over them and bake at 350° for 30 mins. Make sure you set the pan on a cookie sheet! I skipped that step this morning and nearly died from smoke inhalation. Rookie move.

Let cool for 15 mins before turning onto a plate. Also make sure you don't pick pieces off the top when they're fresh out of the oven. They're only about 3° cooler than lava at that point and you will melt your face off. Don't ask me how I know that.

No comments:

Post a Comment