Sunday, October 16, 2011

Minestrone



I looked at at least a dozen recipes for minestrone before I finally gave up and decided to create my own. I took ingredients from a bunch of the recipes and combined them with ones from other recipes and came up with a mix of them all. Normally, I'm one who uses a lot of spice to get flavors into my food, but this soup doesn't need it. I'm very happy with the results.

2 cans diced tomatoes, smashed up (14.5 oz)
1 can tomato sauce (14.5 oz)
1 can beef broth (14.5 oz)
3 c water
1 can kidney beans (14.5 oz)
4 stalks celery, sliced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
2 onions, diced
2 tsp dried basil
1 tsp ground oregano
½ tsp ground marjoram
¼ tsp thyme
1 T parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
1½ T sugar
½ tsp pepper
1 tsp salt
1½ C uncooked pasta (gemelli, conchigliette or even tortelli are great choices)
1lb italian sausage, cooked and drained

In a large pot, combine all the ingredients except the pasta. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, simmering for 40-45 minutes until vegetables are tender. Add pasta and cook an additional 10 minutes on a low boil. Serve with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and garlic bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment